Depart a Remark
January 6, 2021
Want a satiating, flavorful meal that’s simple to prep? This Chipotle Tempeh Kale Bowl is all of that, plus filled with 30+ grams of plant-based protein!
To have fun the 1-year anniversary of the discharge of Vegan Yack Assault’s Plant-Based mostly Meal Prep, I needed to share an excellent recipe from it, but in addition, host a giveaway! This time one fortunate winner will get all three of my cookbooks. (So Vegan Bowl Assault! and Vegan Yack Assault on the Go!, as effectively)
In case you’re unfamiliar with the meal prep e-book, I’ve shared a couple of recipes right here from it previously, like my Hash Brown-Crusted Frittata and Matcha Oatmeal. And you will discover others featured on some nice websites on my cookbook web page! Now, I can share this bowl recipe that additionally options my White Bean Garlic Unfold. Mmmm…
A part of why I needed to function this recipe, to start out off the yr, is as a result of it’s nice for newcomers. I don’t prefer to shift too far in any route as soon as the vacations are over. I believe that it’s usually unproductive and often leads to individuals feeling responsible. I DO, nevertheless, love that folks attempt going vegan throughout January!
What higher method to do this with a simple meal that’s excellent for prepping after which consuming all through the week? And in case you’re new to plant-based consuming, (or similar to recipes on the simpler aspect) I’ve a complete checklist of vegan recipes for newcomers only for you!
Substitutions & Ideas:
- White beans – for the unfold, I name for a 15-ounce can of cooked white beans (plus some liquid), however you may also cook dinner your personal (like I did!), and simply measure out 1 half cups cooked beans. Northern or canellini beans work finest for the unfold, however chickpeas might work in a pinch.
- Tahini – be certain that to stir your tahini effectively earlier than measuring it out, so that you simply don’t find yourself with a thick paste on the underside and skinny liquid up prime, within the jar.
- Garlic – I simply used uncooked garlic on this recipe to maintain it easy, however this unfold can be DIVINE with roasted garlic cloves when you have any available, or really feel like making them.
- Dietary yeast – this provides a pleasant savory/tacky taste to the unfold, plus somewhat B12 if yours is fortified! You may technically depart it out in case you don’t have any, however I believe it’s a lot better with.
- Lemon juice – recent or refrigerated will work right here (in addition to for the seasoning the tempeh), however in case you solely have limes, that may even be tasty!
- Quinoa – within the unique recipe I name for tri-color quinoa (I really like the slight distinction in taste), however common ol’ quinoa will work nice! In case you’re not a fan, brown rice additionally works.
- Tempeh – in case you haven’t had tempeh earlier than, it’s one among my fave vegan proteins! Constructed from fermented soy beans, it’s a lean protein, that has a nutty taste. Simply be certain that to simmer it (like within the directions) earlier than prep to do away with some bitterness!
- Kale – I really like this hearty inexperienced a lot! And right here I’ve it gently steamed over the quinoa in order to not make too many dishes, or have you ever fear about over-cooking it. In case you’d like to make use of spinach or collards as a substitute, that might be fantastic.
Now, in case you do have the cookbook, you will discover this recipe within the “Increased Protein” Chapter! In addition to within the Excessive Protein Meal Prep for two menu (that has so many good dishes in it). And lastly, if you wish to enter the giveaway, go to the video beneath, subscribe to my YouTube channel and touch upon the video with why you’d like to win the cookbooks!
For the White Bean Garlic Unfold
- 1 [15-ounce [425 g]) can low-sodium white beans, drained with 2 tablespoons [30 ml] liquid reserved
- 1/Four cup (60 g) tahini
- Three tablespoons (15 g) dietary yeast
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 to three tablespoons (15 to 45 ml) water
- Three cloves garlic
- 3/Four teaspoon salt
- 1/Four teaspoon black pepper
For the quinoa:
- 2 cups (475 ml) vegetable broth (or 1 cup if cooking in multi-cooker)
- 1 cup (170 g) tri-color quinoa, rinsed
- Three cups (120 g) firmly packed kale, stemmed and torn into bite-size items
For the tempeh:
- 2 (eight ounce [225 g]) packages tempeh, reduce into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 half teaspoons (Four g) onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- half teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- half teaspoon salt
- 1/Four teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
For the meeting:
- half cup (123 g) White Bean Garlic Unfold (recipe above)
- 1/Four cup (25 g) diced inexperienced onion
- Four lemon wedges
- For the unfold, puree the white beans and reserved liquid, tahini, dietary yeast, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water, garlic, salt, and black pepper in a blender or meals processor outfitted with an S-blade till very easy, including the extra 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) water to skinny it out as wanted. Season with salt to style. Retailer within the fridge for as much as 7 days.
- For the quinoa, mix the vegetable broth and quinoa in a big pot and produce it to a simmer over medium-low warmth. Cowl and cook dinner for 20 minutes. Take away the pot from the warmth, add the kale, and canopy so the kale can steam within the residual warmth. When the leaves are vivid inexperienced, take away the lid and put aside.
- If making quinoa in a multi-cooker, add quinoa plus 1 cup (235 ml) veg broth to the interior pot, seal and strain cook dinner at excessive strain for Three minutes. Let naturally launch for 10 minutes, then add kale to the pot (simply on prime of the quinoa), cowl with lid and let steam for a couple of minutes.
- To make the tempeh, whereas the quinoa is cooking, prepare the tempeh in a big sauté pan. Add water till it’s about 1/Four inch (6 mm) excessive. Cowl, deliver to a mild simmer, and cook dinner for 7 minutes to mitigate the tempeh’s bitterness. As soon as tender, drain the water and switch the tempeh to a bowl.
- Stir the onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle chile powder, salt, and black pepper into the tempeh till evenly coated. Warmth the sunflower oil in the identical giant sauté pan over medium warmth. Add the tempeh again to pan and cook dinner till the sides start to brown, about 7 minutes. (It’s possible you’ll want to do that in two batches relying on the dimensions of the pan.) Take away the pan from the warmth, stir within the lemon juice, and season with salt to style.
- To assemble, divide the quinoa and kale and the tempeh between Four bowls or storage containers. Prime every bowl with 2 tablespoons (30 g) White Bean Garlic Unfold, inexperienced onions, and one lemon wedge. Serve heat, or retailer containers within the fridge for as much as 7 days.
Quantity Per Serving:Energy: 540Whole Fats: 21gCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 10gSugar: 7gProtein: 31g