A straightforward recipe for tasty vegan haggis baked in a loaf tin. Filled with oats, greens, spices, and seeds.
I often purchase veggie haggis to make use of in my dishes, however as lots of my readers do not stay in Scotland and discover it arduous to seek out veggie haggis, I promised I’d create a recipe for home made haggis.
Properly that was ages in the past and I by no means appeared to get spherical to it.
Nonetheless, Burns Evening is developing, so it was time to get that pocket book out, take a look at my notes and have a go at making vegan haggis myself.
This simple vegan haggis is baked in a loaf tin and may be served in slices or damaged up into the extra acquainted mince like texture.
It’s made with just a few easy greens, pulses, oats, seeds and spices.
It tastes actually good!
HOW IS HAGGIS SERVED?
Haggis is historically served with neeps and tatties in addition to a creamy whisky sauce to pour over the dish.
In case you aren’t acquainted with Scots, neeps is the Scottish title for turnip (which is known as swede in England and rutabaga in different elements of the world).
Tatties is the Scots title for potatoes. The potatoes are often served mashed, as are the neeps.
Try my information on Easy methods to Prepare dinner Neeps and my Creamy Whisky Sauce to serve with the haggis.
WHEN IS HAGGIS SERVED?
Haggis is historically served with neeps and tatties on Burns Evening as a part of a Burns Supper.
Burns Evening is once we have a good time Scotland’s nationwide poet and bard Robert Burns or Rabbie Burns as we name him.
Rabbie Burns was a Scottish poet within the 18th Century.
His poems are nonetheless discovered and recited in colleges in Scotland and we have a good time his birthday yearly on the 25th of January.
You might not suppose any of his poems, however I am certain you’ve got sang alongside to “Ought to Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot” on the finish of a celebration, a marriage or at Hogmanay (New 12 months).
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE VEGAN HAGGIS?
Vegan haggis is made with just a few primary greens, pulses, oats, seeds and spices, plus a bit of oil to saute the greens.
- rapeseed oil
- kidney beans
- pink lentils
- sunflower seeds
- vegetable inventory
- dried thyme
- dried coriander
- salt and pepper
HOW IS VEGAN HAGGIS COOKED?
Conventional meaty haggis is encased in a sheep abdomen to carry it in that iconic pudding form.
For a home made vegan haggis, the simplest strategy to prepare dinner it’s to bake it in a loaf tin.
When it is baked in a loaf tin, it’s pretty and crisp on the edges and holds its form so you may reduce it into slices for those who like.
It’s also possible to break it up right into a extra coarse, mince-like texture.
WHICH KIND OF OATS SHOULD YOU USE VEGAN HAGGIS?
Many haggis recipes name for pinhead oats, that are additionally referred to as steel-cut oats or coarse oats.
They’re used as they provide extra texture.
As this vegan haggis comprises pulses and seeds in addition to oats, there may be loads of texture, so porridge oats are excellent for this dish.
Porridge oats are the bog-standard oats you utilize to make your porridge for breakfast within the morning. They’re also called rolled oats.
WHAT DO YOU USE AS A BINDER FOR VEGAN HAGGIS?
To carry this vegan haggis collectively when it’s baked, pink lentils are cooked in inventory with dried thyme and blended with the opposite components.
It holds the combination collectively nevertheless it additionally provides plenty of flavour and naturally it provides portion of protein to this haggis.
SLICES OR CRUMBLED HAGGIS?
I reduce the haggis into slices, which seems good on the plate, however I attempted crumbling it with a fork and that works too.
If you’re including it into different recipes, as a filling it’s possible you’ll need to crumble it.
In case you needed to prepare dinner it in pastry I’d slice it and lay the slices on the pastry with both mustard or a recent tomato sauce, then wrap it within the pastry and bake till golden.
To make sausage rolls, I would crumble among the haggis in a bowl and blend with grated cheddar (vegan) as a filling.
It simply is dependent upon what you might be doing and what you like.
If you’re slicing it I like to recommend utilizing a pointy massive chef’s knife when you’ve got one.
I attempted slicing it with a bread knife and I did not get reduce, it needed to crumble on the edges.
RECIPES USING VEGAN HAGGIS
In case you have leftover haggis or if you wish to make some to attempt some completely different recipes, listed here are just a few for recipes so that you can attempt.
WANT NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX ?
pin it for later
Keep in mind and say hello. I am all the time glad to talk and reply questions
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN HAGGIS
Scroll down for step-by-step images adopted by a full printable recipe. If you do not have a printer, hit print then save as a PDF.
It’s also possible to use the wee Develop Me widget with the center on the proper to avoid wasting your favorite recipes by signing in. Each time you come again right here they are going to be proper there sitting ready for you.
- Gently prepare dinner the pink lentils in inventory with thyme till delicate.
- As soon as they’re delicate, whizz them in a meals processor or blender, this would be the binder on your haggis.
- If you do not have a meals processor or blender you may maintain cooking the lentils till they’re mushy. You might want a bit of additional water or inventory, however you need to prepare dinner any liquid off.
- Saute the onion and garlic within the oil in a big pan or massive frying pan.
- The onions are cooked as soon as they’re delicate and golden.
- If it begins catching on the underside of the pan, add a splash of water. As Jamie Oliver says this is not burnt bits, it is flavour.
- Add the grated carrots and mushrooms.
- In order for you a finer haggis, chop all of the greens very effective. They do prepare dinner down, however I do love a coarser texture to haggis.
- Stir the veg nicely and add the bottom coriander.
- Season nicely with salt and pepper.
- Gently prepare dinner the greens till delicate.
- Be certain that all of the water the mushrooms launch is absorbed earlier than including any extra components.
- Add roughly chopped cooked kidney beans and seeds to the pan.
- I used tinned beans which can be precooked, however you may soak and prepare dinner them from dry if that is what you like.
- Add oats and marmite to the pan and season with extra black pepper.
- I used porridge oats that are additionally referred to as rolled oats.
- Add the pink lentil puree to the pan and blend it in nicely. You will see your combination begin to come. collectively.
- Pack the haggis combination into the loaf tin and press it down nicely.
- Bake for 20 minutes coated in foil, then one other 30 minutes with the foil eliminated.
- When the haggis comes out the oven it needs to be brown and crisp.
- It will likely be crisp on the surface however delicate with a lot of texture inside.
- Serve a slice of the haggis with neeps, tatties and a creamy whisky sauce.
- Heck serve it with no matter veg you want.