This hearty vegan shepherd’s pie is made with a base of savory lentils simmered up with a contact of whiskey and topped off with a crust of creamy garlic mashed potatoes. The final word vegan consolation meals most important dish!
Have you ever ever had shepherd’s pie? Or perhaps it’s cousin, cottage pie? I used to be really unfamiliar with the dish till only a few years in the past, till in the future my husband requested if he may make a vegan one with some leftover mashed potatoes we had.
I is usually a little little bit of a management freak within the kitchen, so as an alternative of letting him go forward and make one, I went and made it myself. I’ve tweaked and perfected the recipe since then, and I’m fairly assured at this level that I’ve lastly created the last word vegan shepherd’s pie (or vegan cottage pie, if that’s how you favor to think about it!).
My Secret Ingredient
I used considered one of my favourite meat swaps for the bottom of this vegan shepherd’s pie: lentils. My secret ingredient for infusing the lentils with a lot of savory taste is whiskey.
I’m all the time amazed at how a lot taste I get once I booze up my meals, particularly once I use one thing that I don’t discover in the least drinkable. I’m not a lot of a drinker in any respect, and whiskey particularly I discover fairly disagreeable in liquid type. However cook dinner off that alcohol and what’s left is a wealthy, woodsy taste that’s excellent for seasoning up vegan casserole like this one.
What You’ll Want
Okay, so that you’ll want extra than simply whiskey and lentils to make this one. Right here’s the total record!
- Olive oil. Be happy to substitute your favourite high-heat oil.
- Whiskey. You’re welcome to go away this out in case you favor, nevertheless it provides a beautiful smoky, savory taste.
- Thyme. Contemporary or dried works!
- Vegetable broth. I take advantage of Higher Than Bullion’s roasted vegetable taste.
- Brown lentils. You may substitute inexperienced in case you like — they could take a bit longer to cook dinner.
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce. Annie’s, Edward & Sons, and Complete Meals manufacturers are all vegan.
- Pink wine vinegar.
- Liquid smoke. Some folks love this, some hate it, so it’s an elective ingredient.
- Frozen peas.
- Salt and pepper.
- Non-dairy milk. Nearly any variety will work, as longs as you employ one thing unflavored and unsweetened.
- Vegan butter. Search for manufacturers like Earth Stability or Miyoko’s.
Easy methods to Make Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
The next is an in depth photograph tutorial on the way to make this dish. Scroll to the underside of the put up in case you’d favor to skip to the recipe!
Make the Filling
- Warmth up some oil in a big pot, then add diced onion, leek, carrots, and garlic. Sweat the veggies for a couple of minutes till they start to melt up, ensuring to stir them sometimes.
- Now stir in whiskey and thyme. Convey the liquid to a simmer and let it cook dinner many of the alcohol cooks off.
- Add the broth and lentils.
- Let every little thing simmer till the lentils are tender.
- When the lentils have completed cooking, drain any extra liquid, then season them with some crimson wine vinegar and liquid smoke.
- Stir in some thawed frozen peas, then add salt and pepper to style.
Make the Crust and Assemble the Pie
- You may boil the potatoes for the crust whereas the lentils cook dinner. Once they’re completed, mash them up with some non-dairy milk, vegan butter, and garlic, then season them with salt and pepper.
- Unfold the lentil combination right into a pie or casserole plate.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes over the lentil filling.
- Easy the highest out with a spoon.
Now pop your pie into the oven and bake it till the crust exhibits crispy browned spots!
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Ideas & FAQ
- Is that this dish gluten-free? It’s!
- Shelf life & storage: Leftovers are finest saved within the authentic dish that was used for baking, coated tightly with plastic. They’ll preserve within the fridge for about Four days, or within the freezer (if sealed rather well) for about 2 months.
- Can this be made with out alcohol? Yup! Simply omit the whiskey and skip steps Three and Four of the recipe. You may add the thyme when the vegetable broth goes in.
- Can this be made with crimson or inexperienced lentils? Inexperienced will completely work (I’ve completed it!), though the simmer time in step 6 could also be a bit longer. I don’t advocate utilizing crimson, as the feel wouldn’t work properly for this dish.
- In search of transfer savory vegan pie recipes? Strive my vegan rooster pot pie, vegan cheese & onion pie, or chickpea ragoût pot pie.
Like this recipe? In that case, make sure you comply with me on Fb, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my publication. And please cease again and go away me a assessment and score under in case you make it!
Whiskey Lentil Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
This hearty vegan shepherd’s pie is made with a base of savory lentils simmered up with a contact of whiskey and topped off with a crust of creamy garlic mashed potatoes.
For the Lentil Base
white and lightweight inexperienced components solely, cleaned and chopped
recent thyme leaves,
or 1 teaspoon dried
dried brown lentils
vegan Worcestershire sauce
crimson wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to style
For the Garlic Mashed potatoes
peeled and lower into 1 to 2 inch chunks
unflavored non-dairy milk,
plus extra as wanted
(olive oil works too)
- Salt and pepper to style
Make the Lentil Base
Coat the underside of a medium saucepan with olive oil and place over medium warmth.
When the oil is scorching, add the onion, leek, carrots, and garlic. Sweat the veggies till onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir within the whiskey and thyme. Elevate the warmth and and produce the liquid to a simmer.
Proceed simmering till most of whisky has evaporated, about Three minutes, stirring sometimes.
Stir in vegetable broth and lentils, then elevate the warmth and produce the liquid again to a simmer.
Decrease the warmth and permit the combination to simmer, uncovered, till the lentils are tender however not mushy, about 25-30 minutes. Stir the pot sometimes and add a little bit of water if it reduces an excessive amount of. Take away from warmth and drain any extra liquid when completed cooking.
Take away the pot from warmth and drain any extra liquid when completed cooking.
Stir within the Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, liquid smoke and peas. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Make the Mashed Potatoes
Whereas the lentils simmer, place potatoes into a big pot and canopy them with water.
Place the pot over excessive warmth and produce the water to a boil. Decrease the warmth and boil the potatoes till fork tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Don’t overcook the potatoes.
Take away the pot from warmth and drain the potatoes right into a colander.
Return the potatoes to the pot and mash them with a potato masher. Stir within the milk, garlic and butter. You may add extra milk if wanted to succeed in your required consistency, however you wish to preserve the potatoes comparatively thick. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Make the Shepherd’s Pie
Preheat the oven to 400º. Switch the lentil combination to an eight inch by eight inch baking dish or deep dish 9-inch pie plate. Gently press down right into a uniform layer with a spoon or spatula.
Prime the lentil combination with mashed potatoes, smoothing them out all the best way to the sides to create a seal.
Bake the pie till brown spots type on prime, about 30 minutes.
Take away it from oven and permit to take a seat for 10 minutes earlier than serving.
This dish corporations up because it sits, so it’ll be a smooth casserole straight from the oven, and a really sliceable pie after a number of hours within the fridge.
Whiskey Lentil Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 72
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g10%
* P.c Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.