I made this vegan satay with soy curls for monbento bins as a transportable lunch they usually had been lovely and scrumptious! This recipe video is sponsored by monbento!
I actually miss eating places y’all. I miss going to eating places and ordering dishes which can be loads of effort for me to make at house. I miss having fun with the recent elements and conventional meals of different cultures with out me having to analysis a heck ton of processes to attempt to get the precise elements, and I miss having the ability to eat restaurant meals with out mountains of plastic.
Satay was a type of issues I cherished ordering at eating places as a result of it’s so enjoyable to eat, straightforward to share, and most significantly, SO TASTY.
I developed this recipe for a video with monbento and I had a lot enjoyable making this lovely and engaging moveable lunch. The sauce compartment is ideal for peanut sauce, and if I trim the skewers, it matches a large amount of meals! I’ve been actually having fun with making moveable meals for hikes and for Eddie’s lunches, and the bento bins I purchased final summer time have been such an attractive solution to transport meals for us and our mountain climbing pals.
Whereas researching on-line, I discovered loads of selection within the satay recipes. Some make their marinade from scratch utilizing recent galangal, ginger, lemongrass and curry spices, and a few use a handful of dried spices or curry paste. I opted for one thing in between: recent curry paste however utilizing pre-made curry paste. Better of each worlds in my view: extra flavour with minimal effort!
I discover loads of satay choices at Vietnamese eating places, usually made with hen or pork, however I made this recipe extra equally to the Thai type satay, which focuses extra on curry flavour, whereas I discover Vietnamese satay tends to rely extra on garlic for flavour.
Most locations will grill or BBQ the satay to get that scrumptious, caramelized and crispy flavour, however because it’s the center of winter the place I dwell proper now, I opted to make use of a griddle. You may broil these as nicely, however I wouldn’t suggest baking them (they had been nonetheless a bit too moist after I tried experimenting with baking these).
In case you don’t need to hassle with the skewers in any respect, don’t fear, I’ve a lazy pan-cooked model the place you skip the skewers fully! It’s not as conventional clearly, however you get loads of the identical flavour, minus the smoky char of a BBQ.
And naturally, any satay is made 100x higher with copious quantities of creamy, savoury peanut sauce! This peanut sauce has the right quantity of salty, creamy, spicy and curry flavour to enhance the satay. Eddie loves consuming this greater than the rest and can simply slather peanut sauce on all the pieces every time I’ve this prepped within the fridge.
Numerous conventional recipes I’ve discovered use recent roasted peanuts to make their peanut sauce, which I’m positive can be unctuous and scrumptious however I don’t have time for that. I opted for utilizing pure peanut butter (so no sweetener, salt, or every other components) and that was excellent for this recipe. You may also use a sweetened peanut butter like JIF or Kraft, however regulate the sugar content material within the recipe accordingly.
I paired this recipe with a inexperienced papaya salad, which the Thai model is known as som tam, however the Vietnamese model is known as gỏi đu đủ. It is a model that mixes each variations, as each are barely completely different. From what I can inform, it’s historically a Laotian dish (tam som) that may be discovered throughout Southeast Asia.
The Thai model garnishes with Thai basil, lengthy inexperienced beans, tomatoes, peanuts with a candy, bitter and umami sauce; whereas the Vietnamese model has comparable variations however with shredded hen and generally shredded carrots included as nicely. I see persistently that limes, fish sauce, and garlic are utilized in all of those inexperienced papaya salads, so use no matter you want!
The Vietnamese variations I grew up consuming had loads of herbs and was usually served with toasted sesame rice crackers as a crunchy vessel for this recent and garlicky salad. My recipe is part of this cookbook evaluation I did, so click on right here for that recipe.
Prepare dinner Time
1 hour 5 minutes
- 227 g soy curls
- 1 tbsp mushroom broth powder
- Sizzling water to cowl the soy curls
- 1/Four cup coconut milk to brush whereas cooking
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (if cooking in a pan)
- Chopped recent cilantro to garnish
- Crushed roasted peanuts (unsalted) for garnish
Soy Curl Satay Marinade:
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 2 tbsp vegan fish sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/Four cup coco rico (or water)
- 1/2 cup full fats coconut milk
- 1/2 cup pure peanut butter
- 1/2 cup full fats coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp yellow curry paste (use crimson for spice)
- 1 tsp vegan fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1-2 tbsp lime juice
- In a big bowl, rehydrate the soy curls with some mushroom broth granules and sufficient sizzling water to cowl the curls. I take advantage of boiled water however to avoid wasting your fingers from scalding water, use half sizzling water and half faucet water.
- In one other bowl, mix brown sugar, yellow curry paste, vegan fish sauce, kosher salt, vinegar, Coco Rico (or water), and coconut milk to make the marinade. Whisk all the pieces collectively.
- Put together the peanut sauce by combining pure peanut butter, coconut milk, salt, crimson or yellow curry paste, brown sugar and lime juice in a pot and blend over low warmth till all the pieces is evenly blended. Take away from warmth and switch to a container.
- At this level, the soy curls must be absolutely softened and hydrated, so pressure over a colander and squeeze as a lot liquid as you possibly can out of it. The extra you squeeze out, the extra marinade it is going to retain. As soon as all of the liquid has been squeezed out, toss within the marinade and let sit for at the least 30 minutes.
- To arrange the skewers, soak them in a little bit of water for at the least 10 minutes in the event you plan on cooking them on the barbeque, however in case you are cooking them on a griddle like me, a fast dunk within the water or a soak when you skewer must be enough.
- Thread the marinated soy curls onto the skewers, and put aside. In case you discover you could have many small items that do not skewer nicely, don’t be concerned about that, I merely pan fry these as an alternative of BBQing/griddling them.
To grill or griddle the skewers: Over medium warmth (I did 400F on my griddle), brush one facet of the skewers with coconut milk, and place on the griddle/grill, coconut facet down. Prepare dinner for about 3-Four minutes till browned, if cooking on a griddle, chances are you’ll have to press right down to get your entire skewer to the touch the cooking floor evenly. Earlier than turning to cook dinner the opposite facet, brush with coconut milk, then cook dinner till the opposite facet is browned.
To panfry (not skewered): add about 2-Three tbsp of coconut milk to a big non-stick pan/wok and fry till it bubbles. Ideally wait till it separates a bit of, however I am usually impatient, so it is not vital. Add 1-2 tbsp of vegetable oil to the pan, and add the soy curls. Prepare dinner for about 5 minutes, after which stir, mixing till you get pretty evenly caramelized and browned items of soy curl. This could take about 15-20 minutes whole.
- Serve satay with peanut sauce, further crushed peanuts, and cilantro, with rice, recent cucumber slices, and in the event you’re feeling a bit of further, with inexperienced papaya salad.